Weymouth

Breakthrough For Castle Cove Beach Access

Posted on Updated on

0605 BST Monday 11th June 2018

After campaigning for four years, the Friends of Castle Cove Beach Charity have announced a major breakthrough.

They have signed a lease which will enable the public to get access to the beach.

Contracts were exchanged on Friday and completion is immediate. The Friends are now lease-holders of a beach access route for 99 years, and will be able to build steps down to the beach – once they have raised £30,000.

Steve Elsworth, Chair of Trustees of the charity explained “This is a major breakthrough for the campaign, and fantastic news for the local community,”. “Now all we have to do is raise £30,000. We will raise the money this year, and build the steps as soon as we can.”

“The Friends obtained planning permission for the steps in April, and have signed the lease today. Now we have to raise £30,000. “We are going to crowdfund, we are asking local businesses for cash, and we are asking our supporters to reach deep into their pockets. Any donations would be extremely welcome – go to our justgiving page.”

“You can’t believe how delighted we are”, said Steve. “I kissed our lawyer when we heard the news.”

The steps to Castle Cove Beach were removed in 2013, after being in place for 80 years. The campaign to restore them began in 2014, and has continued since then. “We have had support from councillors of all parties, from churches, community groups, schools, local landowners, the Coop, national organisations such as the Open Spaces Society, the Ramblers, the Prince’s Trust and the South West Coast Path Association,” said Steve. “We have 850 followers on Facebook and 200 people receive our monthly newsletter. This is a very popular community campaign.”

Since the campaign was launched on Monday 11th of June over £1500 has already been raised.

Access to Castle Cove beach is on Old Castle Road in Weymouth and its also only yards from Sandsfoot Castle.

Want to help? – donate to justgiving.com – name of donation is “Castle Cove Beach.” The link below takes you to the page.

(https://www.justgiving.com/campaigns/charity/friendsofcastlecovebeachcharity/friends-of-castle-cove-beach-campaign-steps)

New Ice Warning For Monday Evening

Posted on Updated on

Friday 16th March at 2044

Final Update Monday 19th March 2106

A yellow warning for ice is now valid until 9am Tuesday morning.

For any local travel disruption follow Travel Dorset on twitter and all your LIVE TRAVEL INCIDENTS HERE via INRIX

Check to see if your school in Dorset is OPEN OR CLOSED HERE

The LATEST IRN RADIO NEWS (2 minutes audio)

Snow has been falling across Dorset overnight, however it will gradually keep moving away further towards Cornwall leaving everywhere clear behind it. Whatever has been thrown down with freezing temperatures it will turn to ice.

Train information and journey checker – South Western Railway

Bus information – First Bus Wessex, Dorset and South Somerset


The A37 between Dorchester and Yeovil has now been reopened following recovery of an overturned lorry.


Dorset Police were dealing with two road traffic accidents into Monday. Purbeck traffic officer Roan Doyle urges caution if you need to travel.


img_8510

img_8532

Only a couple of weeks ago the south-west seen it’s worst snow for 10 years but although the weather warnings have been ever changing in the last few days, there won’t be anywhere near the snow levels of a fortnight ago.

Travel was majorly disrupted and even the local taxis and buses were not venturing to the public who needed to be somewhere in trying conditions.

The threat of ice is thrown into the mix on Monday and caution is required as the previous snowfall then combined with the relentless bitter easterly winds seen everywhere turned to clear sheet glass ice.

As we progress through Monday it’s supposed to change for the better certainly wind direction and temperature wise, but alas we will wait for the experts from the Met Office over in Exeter who by enlarge did a great job of trying to be as accurate as possible through updates seemingly by the hour.

The Weymouth Half Marathon was postponed until June 10th 2018.

THIS ARTICLE WAS HIT OVER 1500 TIMES. Many thanks to the public at large.

ENDS

Dunkirk Flies Away With Three Oscars

Posted on Updated on

Monday 5th March 2018 0522 GMT by Lee Dolbear

It was a great night for Christopher Nolan as Dunkirk movie scooped three Oscars at the 90th Academy Awards. The war drama which was part filmed on location at Weymouth and Swanage, Dorset in the summer of 2016 was written, produced and directed by Nolan. It featured Kenneth Branagh, Tom Hardy and Harry Styles (to name a few) helping it to rake in over $500 million at the global box office.

Dunkirk won best film editing, sound editing and sound mixing of the eight it was nominated for.

Sound Editing

WINNER – DUNKIRK

• Baby Driver

• Blade Runner 2049

• The Shape of Water

• Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Sound Mixing

WINNER – DUNKIRK

• Baby Driver

• Blade Runner 2049

• The Shape of Water

• Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Film Editing

WINNER – DUNKIRK

• Baby Driver

• I, Tonya

• The Shape of Water

• Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri


It was also a great night for Gary Oldman who won the best actor Oscar for Darkest Hour.

Guillermo del Toro who won the best director Oscar for ‘The Shape of Water’ said on collecting the award, “I am an immigrant…The greatest thing our art does and our industry does is to erase the lines in the sand. We should continue doing that when the world tells us to make them deeper.”

The Shape of Water also won best picture.

Roger Deakins finally won his first Oscar for Best Cinematography sci-fi thriller Blade Runner 2049 after being nominated 14 times over 23 years.


A full list of winners can be found here via ABC News.

South West RED and Amber Snow And Ice Warnings In Force

Posted on Updated on

Wednesday 28th February – 1915 GMT – by Lee Dolbear

LIVE TRAVEL DORSET ALERTS VIA INRIX

An AMBER weather warning for the south west has now been validated. It came into force at 2pm as the freezing winds from the east met Storm Emma from the south west.

This was the scene in Weymouth just before 6pm and the snow is still coming thick and fast.

This morning The Met Office issued it’s first RED warning for parts of the south west. This red warning is valid from 3pm Thursday and it means

Dangerous weather is expected and, if you have not done so already, you should take action now to keep yourself and others safe from the impact of the severe weather. It is very likely that there will be a risk to life, with substantial disruption to travel, energy supplies and possibly widespread damage to property and infrastructure.

Here in Weymouth the Esplanade is now looking like a scene from Christmas.

With most of the United Kingdom having snow this week from the now infamous ‘Beast from the east’, the Met Office issued an amber alert for Dorset and the rest of the south-west on Tuesday. This amber warning was upgraded from yellow which was initially issued the day before.

We do live in a bit of a health and safety gone mad nanny state in the last few years but with this relentless front of cold, I personally believe the weather organisation based in Exeter has quite rightly kept us well-informed.

The AMBER WARNING is currently valid NOW UNTIL 8am Friday.

All details can be found at the MET OFFICE WEBSITE

Travel Dorset say that no Dorset county council transport is running today, but that does not necessarily mean schools are closed. Check Online.

Earlier this week scarves and hats were spotted on Weymouth Esplanade sea front shelters. One tweet later and we discovered who was behind putting the items and love out there.

It was revealed the person behind attaching the items and scripting the loving note ‘I’m not lost, if you need me – use me – stay warm ❤️’ was Gemma Spearing and after seeing the tweet BBC Radio Solent breakfast show presenter Steve Harris caught up with Gemma on Wednesday mornings show. LISTEN HERE

Some advice if you see a homeless person on the streets and you’re not sure how you can help HERE

It’s a case of batten down the hatches, do not travel unless you seriously need to and take care.

This bitter eastern has been ongoing for nearly a week.

Make sure you check on your elderly neighbours and family.

Drive to the conditions that could change in seconds.

This isn’t Armageddon but it’s not good so TAKE CARE.

Links For Travel   

South Western Railway

First Dorset

All other links are in the article.

Good Luck!

This story will keep updating as the picture keeps changing by the hour.

Weymouth’s Punch And Judy Is Under Threat … but you can help!

Posted on Updated on

22 February 2018 0858 GMT

Weymouth’s Punch and Judy has been a summer spectacle for over 130 years but nowadays the current professor is asking for the public’s help to make sure that it stays open for performances beyond 2018.

Up until 2016 Mark Poulton was able to perform a ‘full’ summer season working 7 days a week (weather permitting) from the end of May until early September. Since then he has found it is now only viable to work the school summer holidays. However, the annual expenses remain the same, so Weymouth Punch and Judy have come up with a 3-point plan to ensure Mark can afford to continue with the show after the 2018 summer season.

They are asking everyone who enjoys the shows, visitors and locals alike, to become involved in our campaign to SAVE MR PUNCH.

img_7902Mark explains although we will be seeking help and support from W&P Borough Council, local traders and businesses we need the support of the local community and visitors too.
Your donation will go toward additional expenses in running the show, including:
• Maintenance of the puppets and the stage
• Secure storage of the stage and other equipment when not in use
• Cost of site for the camper van
• Day to-day expenses while in Weymouth

Perhaps, more importantly, the success of the “Go Fund Me” campaign will demonstrate the strength of support from the local and visitor communities when we seek sponsorship from local businesses and from the Council for the 2019 season and beyond.

The go fund me page set up by Mark has now reached the milestone of £1000.

More details of the future proposal can be found HERE 

Social media hashtag #ThatsTheWeyToDoIt

Witness Appeal Following Reported Nightclub Assault In Weymouth

Posted on Updated on

Wednesday 31 January – 1600 GMT

Dorset Police are appealing for witnesses following reports of an assault in Weymouth. A police constable was also assaulted trying to detain a woman in connection with the incident.

At 3.30am on Tuesday 30 January 2018 police were called to Actors Bar in Maiden Street following reports that two women had been punched in the face.

Officers attended and as one police constable went to detain a woman at the scene he was reportedly assaulted. He was taken to hospital for treatment to injuries to his hand and jaw.

The woman also reportedly spat at an officer when she was taken to the Weymouth custody suite.

An 18-year-old Weymouth woman has been arrested on suspicion of assaulting an officer in the execution of their duty and has been released under investigation.

Police Constable Susan Tagg, of Weymouth police, said: “We are making a number of enquiries into this incident and I am keen to speak to the two alleged victims of the reported assault at Actors Bar, who we have not identified and are yet to give an account to police.

“I would urge these two women, or anyone else with information about the incident, to get in touch.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dorset Police at www.dorset.police.uk, via email 101@dorset.pnn.police.uk, or by calling 101, quoting occurrence number 55180015347. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or via www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

Police Appeal Following Burglary In Weymouth

Posted on Updated on

Wednesday 24th January 2018 0904 GMT

Police are appealing for witnesses following a burglary in Weymouth.

The victim, a man aged in his 60s, returned to his home in Melcombe Avenue at around 7.20pm on Friday 19 January 2018, having been away since approximately 4pm the previous day.

He found that the back door had apparently been forced open and a number of items had been taken from upstairs in the house including two laptops, a number of watches, items of jewellery, a camcorder and a camera.

The victim also discovered that his car, a Jaguar XF R-Sport saloon, had been stolen from the driveway.

Police Constable Chloe Chapman, of Weymouth police, said: “We are continuing to investigate this incident and have carried out a number of enquiries, including visiting houses in the area and attempting to trace the stolen vehicle.

“I am appealing to any witnesses to the burglary, or anyone who has any information that can assist our investigation, to contact police immediately.

I would also like to hear from anyone who saw a car matching the description given in the area around the time of the burglary.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dorset Police at http://www.dorset.police.uk, via email 101 or by calling 101, quoting occurrence number 55180009927. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or via http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org.